Saturday, January 14, 2012

No Excuses

My family is a huge fan of the ABC television show The Biggest Loser.  We love to root for the underdog, wanting everyone to do their very best in reaching their goals, mentally and physically.

This season, the motto is no excuses.  No excuses can apply to anything, not just losing weight.

I'm still thinking about resolutions for 2012.  I haven't run across anyone who has made one, but I know a lot of people that should.  Some should make resolutions to quite smoking, quite drinking, lose weight, exercise more, stop complaining, be more positive, forgive and forget, etc.  I could go on all day but I won't, because it's not a perfect world and I'm not a perfect person, so why pass judgment onto others.

However, for me and the rest of my family, this is the year of no excuses (they just don't know it yet).  I have learned through the years, when I make a statement - out loud - I hold myself accountable and follow through with what I say. This is a good reminder for one to think before one speaks. I also learned through the years you are only as honorable as your words. I said I'd read 6 Classics in 2012, I'm already reading Uncle Tom's Cabin, only 5 more to go.  After publishing this statement and I were to fall short, I'm not only disappointing myself but I'd be telling everyone my words are just hot air coming out of my mouth.

I'm still building the muscles around my hip, so everyday I head into the gym.  I first bike for 40 minutes, move to the treadmill for 30 minutes and then do a short 15 minute upper body workout.  Yes, there are days I think I don't have time, it's too late in the day, or I could use the excuse that I've already showered, but I tell myself, "No excuses!"

I've had paperwork on my desk for months needing my attention. I finally sat down the other day, looked at it and said, "I have to take care of this, no more excuses!"  Phone calls were made, checks written and guess what, it's all taken care of and off my desk.

A friend of mine phoned me the other day and while we were speaking, she told me after reading one of my posts, she really needed to take care of something she's wanted to do for almost 2 years now.  I told her, "No more excuses." 

We briefly touched on the subject of death and how we each knew of someone who recently died from a heart attack. One gentleman was 54, the other only 33. She commented on how we think we have all kinds of time to do things, but we really never know when our time will come to an end.  After thinking about our conversation, I'm sure it hasn't even crossed her mind how terrible it would be if something happened to the receiver of her gift before she was able to present it to this very special person, whom she loves dearly.

We'll never know what stops us from doing certain things, except excuses.  Do we justify our neglectfulness because of time restraints. Maybe we don't want to face rejection or being made fun of by someone. Do you think your under qualified for a position you'd like to apply for or think you won't meet your goals. Some may not want to release feelings that have been suppressed for years or say something to trigger another persons feelings. Or maybe it's just plain laziness and we don't want to put our best foot forward. Any way you look at it, their just excuses!

For me, I have to stop telling myself there are only so many hours in the day, that's just an excuse.  My mother constantly reminds me, "Honey, do the most important things first, everything else can wait."

I'd like to challenge everyone to take on the motto this year - no excuses - it can be very liberating. Remember this, some say you are what you eat, but I say you are what you speak and do!

Happy Tails~
Barbie

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...