Wednesday, February 1, 2012

4-teen

Birthdays are inevitable, however, the one wish I make every year is another doesn't take place for quite some time.


My twins just celebrated another birthday, along with my husband and myself.  This all takes place in the month of January.  A wonderful way to start the new year.


I have learned, through the years, to be careful what I wish for.  I use to wish for the day the boys could feed themselves, go potty by themselves, walk, talk, go to nursery school a couple days a week, tie their own shoes, etc. My mother use to remind me, "Barbara, don't wish their lives away. Sit back and enjoy them while they're little."


I did sit back and enjoy them, I was fortunate enough to be a "stay-at-home-mom" and I didn't miss any of their firsts. God blessed me and I thank him quite often for all he has given me.
The twins 4th Birthday
I always thought the next stage would be more fun, more interesting and more challenging, not only for my children, but for me as well.  Looking back, I can say all my wishes came true.  They can now feed themselves, go to the bathroom by themselves, walk (most of the time, but still fall), talk (all the time and are now a bit cheeky), go to school 5 days a week, and can tie their shoes 80% of the time (it's much easier to pre-tie, slip on and go, which drives me nuts!)
The twins 14th Birthday
I have finally learned NOT to wish their lives away.  I can patiently wait for tomorrow, next week or next year. Do I wish they were 4 years old again? Absolutely. I have always thought the ages of 3 through 6 were the best years, for my children and myself.

These last 10 years have flown by, via a one way ticket, never to return.  Will I enjoy the next 10 as much as the last? Well, that's hard to say.  As a mother, I want those apron strings tied snuggly around me, but I know with each year, those strings are slowly becoming untied and there is nothing I can do about it. The only thing I can do is to continue to make their birthday cake.

My boys have been, and still are, a joy. I now only wish the best for them.

Barbie

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...