Thursday, September 8, 2011

A 1960's Baby

On Monday while driving to Cleveland (a long 9 hour trip) my hubby and I were listening to WAMC.  From 9 - 11 they had a special broadcast called, "Everything Was Right: The Beatles' "Revolver".

This program explored the album - Revolver - and talked with historians, musicians, music critics, and fans.  Each track was played from the album and major discussions took place.  I always new the Beatles were fantastic, but I came to realize after listening to this show, that the Beatles were genius.

This past Christmas I bought my husband 3 Beatle CD's, the 3 I thought were the best of all time.  They were Revolver, St. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Abbey Road.  It was time we turned the clocks back a bit and listened to some real rock and roll again.


I was born in '59.  When the Beatles made their debut on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1964, I was 5 years old.  Do I remember this, I certainly do.  My oldest brother is 12 years older than me and his brother is 8 years older than me.  Having brothers who were 17 and 13 was bittersweet.  When I look back on my childhood, I believe I had the best of both worlds.


The one things my family loved was music and I am forever grateful to each member. My mother was in love with Eddie Arnold, Hank Williams Sr., Ray Charles, and Frank Sinatra.  My father enjoyed big bands, Herb Albert/Tijuana Brass, and Buddy Rich. And we must not forget Klaus Wunderlich.  Klaus was a German musician who played the Hammond organ.  I remember my father purchasing his albums whenever we went into Canada, on our way to Michigan, but his favorite, all time love, was Peggy Lee.  She made his heart melt.


The sounds that came from my oldest brothers room was The Vanilla Fudge, Cream, The Beach Boys, The Doors, Herman's Hermits, The Mamas and Papas but mostly the sweet sound of the Beatles.


While my other brother was more into Led Zeppelin, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Chicago and The Moody Blues.


Being subjected to this listening experience was like going to a foreign country to be submerged in a culture you new little about. Each day I would go about my simple little life and would subliminally pick up lyrics, tunes, and melodies from all these great artists.  This foreign language was spoken to me everyday, while taking a nap, coloring on the living room floor, hanging with the older cousins on a Friday night while the adults played cards or on a variety show that we watched come 8 p.m.  This language came very easy to me and I knew more songs, tunes and lyrics than my peers did.


As I grew I had my own taste. The Monkees were high on the list, as well as, The Partridge Family, Carol King, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Don McLean, The Eagles, Jackson Brown, The Doobie Brothers, Earth Wind & Fire, Elton John and Pink Floyd. I usually fell in love with the lead singer, as most teenage girls do.


And we can't forget American Bandstand. (that is a blog all unto itself)


In my world, the Beatles will always reign as the all time 'rock band'.  The sounds, the words and the melodies will forever be embedded in my heart.  Their simple years, the psychedelic years, and their later years will always be a major part of my being until the day I die remembering that ....
1960

1967


1969
.... music is a universal language showing that All We Need Is Love each and every day. That's what my family gave to me through the power of music.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...