Tuesday, July 24, 2012

We Are Who We Are

We all have insecurities. Each person deals with them in their own personal way.  Some people do not like their nose, their breasts, their hair line, the sound of their voice, the way they walk or their overall body shape.  Others think they are dumb, not good enough or think they'll fail at something new, never trying what really interests them.  For some, they become so obsessed with their faults they can't see their successes.

Diane Keaton is one of my favorite actresses, along with Meryl Streep. I find the movies they have been in are some of my favorites :: The Godfather, Father of the Bride, Something's Gotta Give and First Wives Club. As far as Meryl is concerned, her movies are too long to list and there isn't one I couldn't watch over and over again.  When I watch these movies, I find I watch the women more than the scene or the other actors surrounding them.  They are both beautiful women and are excellent at their trade.

I just recently read Then Again by Diane Keaton and had no idea she would share certain aspects of her life, as well as her own personal insecurities.  When I look at these two women, I see a natural beauty inside and out. I would never have thought Diane Keaton would have been called stupid when she was younger.  She didn't think herself as pretty, after comparing herself to another famous actress and down the road, when she was older, she ended up sticking her finger down her throat three times a day for years. She was bulimic. Why? 

Her mother had insecurities which Diane herself couldn't understand.  Why is it we can't accept ourselves for who we are?  I thought when you reached a certain age it was time to pat yourself on the back for all you've accomplished.  Why must we dwell on the negative?  I sometimes wonder if the negative pushes us to reach our potential.

As I get older, my insecurities are shrinking.  I'm not saying they aren't there, I just don't give them much attention anymore. I've learned to focus on what I do best and what makes me feel good.  It doesn't matter how famous you are, how beautiful you are or how much money you have, we all have one thing in common. We all have insecurities.

Remember this, we are who we are for a reason.  Once you figure out who you really are, you'll enjoy yourself so much more.  Life is too short and too precious to dwell on the negative.





Barbie

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...