Monday, May 14, 2012

Are You My Mother? - Leaving The Nest

The time came where I felt Heff was ready to leave the nest.  The family gathered together for well wishes and we grabbed Heff and headed to the woods.  We were all very excited about seeing him fly into the woods and be the bird he was meant to be.

Heff is ready and as you can see, very excited about his new venture

As we watched Heff sit and look around, I decided to give him words of encouragement to head into the woods. He acted as if he wanted out when he was in the potting shed, but when we gave in to his wishes, he would only fly back and forth from the top of the potting shed to the top of the stone wall.

Heff contemplating as to whether or not he's really ready for the big bad world


Heff finally made it to a pine tree.  He sat there for over 4 hours without moving.  Knowing he hadn't eating anything for some time, I would bring worms and berries to him and fed him in the tree.  I was driving my husband nuts with my fret and worry over this bird.  As dusk approached, I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep so I gently grabbed Heff and brought him back to the potting shed.

It was only a few days later when he decided he was really ready to leave the nest.  His second attempt was a huge success and after his release we no longer had to worry about him in the woods.  His take off flight was much stronger, much higher and, with all the confidence in the world, Heff flew off to take on all the challenges a bird can encounter.

Leaving Heffer behind, I wondered if he would miss his little brother and if Heffer would miss Heff not being in the potting shed with him.

After Heff flew off, each day I wondered just how close he would stick to home waiting for Heffer to join him in the woods, or if he had the mind set to get as far away as he could.  Heff was a joy to raise and yes Heff, I am your mother! I realized my job was not over, I had one more bird child to take care of for a couple more weeks.

It's been 2 years since Heff's been gone and I have to believe he's returned to his home each year, watching all of us from deep within the woods.



Barbie

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...