Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Earl of Sandwich

I have a love/hate relationship with the sandwich. I love eating them. I hate making them in the wee hours of the morning.


When I was in school, my mother made me delicious sandwiches, right up until the day I graduated.  Nothing fancy, but she knew just how much mayonnaise to put on the bread to enhance the roast beef, or how much onion, celery, salt and pepper was needed to perfect the taste of her chicken salad. When it came to egg salad, she knew how fine the hard boiled eggs needed to be chopped, so when she added a scant of mayo a perfect texture was created for the ultimate egg salad on rye.  My mom spoiled us kids when it came to lunch.  She never purchased deli meats and I don't ever remember being served peanut butter & jelly. The meat for our sandwich always came from the meat left over from our Sunday afternoon dinners.  I now do the same for my boys.  A little mayo, salt, pepper and love is the perfect touch for an excellent sandwich.


                                                                                                               Source: simplyrecipes.com via Barbara on Pinterest

They say the sandwich was named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an 18th-century English aristocrat, although he was not the inventor. Montagu ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread, and because Montagu also happened to be the Fourth Earl of Sandwich, others began to order "the same as Sandwich!"  Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food because it allowed him to continue playing cards, cribbage, while eating without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands.
                                                                                                           Source: simplyrecipes.com via Barbara on Pinterest

I really don't care who invented the sandwich. Whether it's a whole sandwich served up 
with pickles and chips or a half sandwich served with a cup of soup, a sandwich is the quintessential lunch food.  You don't have to be an Earl to enjoy it.






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...