Tuesday, September 27, 2011

a HIP mom - Reality Sets In - Part 3

BHR Device for Hip Resurfacing
www.rediscoveryourgo.com
I met with the Orthopaedic surgeon in July to go over the MRI. To my relief, there was no cancer. I honestly knew there wouldn't be, but the mind is a powerful thing.

Once again, the doctor confirmed the pain I was experiencing did come from the hip. I now had referred pain traveling down the front of my leg and effecting two of my toes. 

At that time, the doctor told me he’d do whatever I wanted. My choices were to have another cortisone shot, a hip replacement or medication that would definitely remove the pain.

I am not a pill popper and didn’t like the idea of drugs. Drugs only mask the pain and does not cure anything. I also didn’t want another cortisone shot, also a temporary fix, only postponing the inevitable. And as far as a hip replacement, I definitely didn’t want to take that path, I am too young and too active.

Because I like to research my options and take my time in deciding what I want the medical community to do with my body, I caved in and chose the medication. I couldn’t bear to have another shot. There were no guarantees the cortisone would work a second time around, besides, the medication was just extra strength ibuprofen, not much different from the Advil I’d been taking.

The doctor prescribed Diclofenac sod 75mg tablets for me. I proceeded to have the prescription filled. I couldn’t wait to pop one of these bad boys, I just wanted the pain to go away. I usually don’t read the side effect paperwork that comes with your pills but for some reason I felt I had better with this prescription. The first three side effects were, heart attack, stroke and kidney failure (with no warning). I told my husband I could live with the pain, there was no way I'd be popping those pills.

I knew I was having my annual physical in a few days so I decided to hold off on the Diclofenac and I'd ask my general practitioner for his opinion on this particular medication. When I meet with him, I asked about the pills straight away. His first question was, “Who the hell prescribed these for you.” He told me if I wanted the pain to leave my body, this was the drug, HOWEVER, if you take these for 30 days, you greatly increase the risk of heart attack and or stroke. He then suggested taking them for 7 days and then getting the hell off them. So, that’s what I did. Did the leg pain go away, yes. 

With the departure of pain, I was able to focus on the only option I had left. It was time to sit down and find an excellent surgeon for my hip. 

I ran into a friend, who had both hips replaced, and he suggest I look into PRP, otherwise known as Platelet Rich Plasma Injection TherapyPRP web site while two other people I knew had hip resurfacing done and couldn’t say enough good things about it.
                  
I first wanted to know who the top 10 orthopaedic surgeons were in the United States, so I sat down at the computer and started my search. It didn't take long to find Dr. Peter Brooks who was associated with the Cleveland Clinic. Upon further searching, I found a wonderful video of Dr. Brooks being interviewed about hip resurfacing.

www.surfacehippy.info/doctorinterviews/brooksinterview.php



In 2004 I had major surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, performed by an outstanding surgeon. I felt Dr. Gill gave me my normal life back and was ready to head back out there with no hesitations.

On September 6, my husband and I headed back to Cleveland. I was impressed with Dr. Brooks in his interview, but when I met him in person, I knew he was the doctor for me. Just like my first meeting with Dr. Gill, Dr. Brooks gave me the idea the procedure was no big deal and he's ready to get me back on the road to an active lifestyle. I like a doctor who brings confidence in the room with him and arrogance is not anywhere to be found. His laid back manner put me at ease immediately which helped me ask questions I’d be afraid to ask others. The fact he has performed over 1,000 successful surgeries since 2006, tells me he isn’t the new kid on the block.

Dr. Brooks took one quick look at my x-rays and told me he knew why I was there to see him but he wanted me to tell him why I was there to see him!

After all the talk about hip replacement vs. hip resurfacing I knew what I was going to do. Knowing he has performed over 1,000 successful surgeries, since 2006, eased my mind and I was ready to have him help me get back to what I love doing by performing the hip resurfacing surgery using the BHR device. 


The next step was to set a date for surgery.


                                                                                                     (to be continued)







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...