Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Life Change

From December 20, 2009 until November 7, 2010 I was caring for my father who developed Metastatic Bone Cancer. Everyday we had a new challenge in front of us and quickly learned not to go around the wall of cancer but to go through it, hitting this insidious disease head on. 


Since my fathers passing, I have learned many things about myself. Even though this has been a tremendous loss for me, I feel even more empowered to take on life with a gusto others will never experience or know. 


My father had a zest for life only I can understand.  Not a day goes by where I think about what he would have done in certain situations, what he was planning for his next great adventure and what he would share with me about his years as a tail gunner in a B-17 during WWII. Stan always had a story to tell and a joke to share. I need to pick up where he left off. My life has changed considerably since his exit but I need to share with others all he taught me, stories he shared, and I need to remind everyone just how fast time goes and not to waste a minute of it.


I'll always treasure the 90 years I had with this most amazing man, and I realize how truly blessed I was to have him as my father, a friend, a mentor and a hero to me, as well as many others. 


Thank you dad for all you taught me, all the love you showered me with and for the special bond we had. 


Forever yours,
Your "Darling Daughter"



1 comment:

Pamela Zarb said...

Barb,
I have always felt like your Dad was a second Dad to me. I remember him taking me to the horse races and explaining how to read the sheets before betting. I, too remember his war stories and his special smile when he played a joke on you. I have always held a special place in my heart for your Mom and Dad. I am so glad I got to see him 2 years ago and video tape him. Pam

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...